Sunday, October 7, 2012

Specs Taking Two of My Photos for Upcoming Issue

[Original Metal Man, Historic Cold Springs, Cape May, NJ, Cathy T. Colborn]

Some great things are happening to me lately. I had some luck a few years back with publishing, but then a seven year curse. I tease, I say it was a curse because of "a lot of bad karma and longings that I wished never came true on the steps of Jackson Square." I tease it was the power of three...three soul mates making bad wishes after visiting Marie Laveau. She gave us what we asked for--and then some.

What I think really happened was...I was distracted by my bad wishes and of those of the two close friends around me, and we lost sight on what was really important in life. But from those terrible experiences came the strength of overcoming anything and realizing we have a purpose. I needed to get my writing and photography out there. They needed to get up the courage to move out to NOLA permanently. My hope was to pick up and utilize the talent I was given and was meant to share for (maybe) some greater reason, that I didn't know (or may never know) about. One thing is certain, I have drive now, and I think after this past month, I am finally going to allow myself to say "It shows." I know, no one likes a quitter or braggart, but it is due.

This week, I got an email on a submission that I really truly had my fingers tangled on getting back a positive response. The magazine was Specs. The theme: Outsourced. It was the second journal this month I got in that you have to purchase if you want to see my work. It was not your typical outsourcing theme either. Not like, okay, here is your camera, now go fly to somewhere and take pics of some culture America is blaming for taking their jobs. Not at all. The theme was to expand on places, people, and pop culture that just "weren't the same somehow" or "just didn't seem right." I thought I nailed it with a shot from my old campus and one from a shop on the Ocean City boardwalk. I thought I had a slight chance with some other shots: A French trading post, Cold Springs, Cape May, and a few other random places (like abandoned farms and such). Finally, I got a hit with a "You're in the final round for Outsourced Library and Product Of...Congrats you made it in!My issue is not up yet, but here is the link if you want to submit: http://specsjournal.org/

I am so glad. My poetry and photographs have been taking turns in touching editors in some way, enough to give me a chance, and I feel like Mother Marie has lifted the curse, or maybe, I am giving the dedication and devotion now of the poet that ascended from Inferno (trust me, it was hell on Earth at least. Ask me about it over drinks one day). I do not mind taking the trip and taking the Dante route (haha) now, if it gets me where I am meant to go and gets others (somewhere out there) to be inspired. Next, is Push to Publish and pitching my "Chick Pulp" in the speed dating rounds. Wish me luck!

Thanks for listening, supporting, and hopefully continuing to come along for the road trip.

Peace,
Catt

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!! Best of luck! I so would like to see what pictures you made for theme "Outsourced".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soo much=) I will post the link when they are published, but I can't before then. I think it will be Spring of 2013=( Maybe I will get a similar picture up from that pack on the blog before then.

      Delete