Friday, November 16, 2012

Day of the Dead Sideshow Celebrity Paintings to be On Display

[Frida (Snake Woman), Diego (Lobster Boy), Day of the Dead Celebrity Paintings, Mixed Media, 2012,Cathy T. Colborn]

     After another lull and mass influx of rejection letters, I finally had another hit. A member of my family showed my spin on Day of the Dead Painting to a gallery owner, and he wants to take them. Right now there are only two completed, but I have a sideshow list going: Salvador Dali as Ringleader, Poe as an Animal Trainer, and possibly Emily Dickinson as an Elephant Riding Starlet. The list goes on with my obsession but that is all I can handle with finals, events, and the upcoming holidays. 
     The only problem left is putting a price on your artistic children. That is always hard. So is parting with them when they get sold. I am taking photos of the process, accessories, and finished pieces. This is mainly so I can have a print and if someone wants one of the characters painted. I do not want to sell prints or replicate these. What makes them so special is they are fun, a tribute to my idol Frida, and very unique. It is better to keep them that way. I am not going to lie...sell them for a good amount also.


      Above is a pic of one of the acessories I have attached to the works (rough stages). I am hoping to glue on blessed virgin medals, fruit made of string, and ceramic flowers. These are all symbols you would find on Día de los Muertos. 
     The Gallery is called, Earth, Wood, and Fiber. I am hoping by the time these are completed (hopefully over Thanksgiving Break) that they will encompass all of those things and more. Got to pick out cool 3D frames.

     Well I have a lot of work ahead of me, so I better get started. I will drop a link but I cannot promise it is the perfect one yet: earthwoodfiber.com

Also check out my blog on Transient Magazine because I think my three poems and my full page bio and picture will be out at any minute. 

Probably be back then and thanks for stopping by.
-Catt




No comments:

Post a Comment